Friday, September 22, 2017

Fall is Here! My Picks for Fall/Winter 2017-2018 Fashion Trends

Fall/Winter styles run the gamut from classic checks to futuristic metallics...

As a Los Angeles resident, I am always surprised when Fall weather shows up.  Fall often feels more like extended summer -- which is not so great when you are tired of sundresses and looking forward to fall boots and jeans.  This year, however, the thermometer has already begun to inch lower, and the evenings have already begun to feel cooler.  Although another heatwave is probably just around the corner, I'm inspired to look at what designers have come up with for a new season...
Time for fall boots!

Turns out, there are enough varying trends to make this style contrairista's head spin.  Proving once again that fashion is morphing from a single set of hard and fast rules into a broad palette of suggestions, this season's designer goodies have something for everyone.



I don't like thinking in terms of being "in style" when I swoon over a new season's trends. (Don't even get me started on how stupid I find the term "on point.")  Making sure you are in style means following someone else's rules, and frankly, life has enough rules already.


Since discovering the concept of slow fashion, I approach clothing from the perspective of a collector rather than a consumer.  What new, beautiful piece will enhance my wardrobe? What will I truly love not only this year but for many more to come?  

Check out the video above for a great catwalk through the hottest looks of Fall/Winter 2017-2018 -- and then check out the links below for a few of my favorite deals on current styles:

We Like Shiny Things...
(Metallics are everywhere!)

Yes, you now have permission to wear those silver joggers.  (Not that you need permission, by the way.)  I noticed hints of the metallic trend in last fall's trend reports, and I'm delighted that it is here in all its flashy, splashy glory for the current fall season.  Here are a few ways I'm feeling the silver vibe:

Still loving my favorite metallic block heels from Spring! (Buy here.)

Okay, so I wish a fairy godmother would deliver the original one, but in the meantime I found an incredible substitute.  Warning: do not wear this unless you want people to stop you and ask you where you got it.












I bought these silver pumps last year, but now they really fit in. Bonus: the block heels are super easy to run around in.  (This is helpful when you have a rambunctious dog like my Rocky.)

I found these for under $20.  There are several other colors, too.  Given how well they've held up, I'm tempted to grab a pair in basic black.  Block heels are so comfortable!
Confession: I've worn this Sally Hansen nail polish for almost 10 years.  I can't tell you how many people have asked me about it.  While I'm delighted to be suddenly trendy, I'll still be wearing this when matte nudes come back in style.  I've tried many shades and brands of silver nail polish, but this one is the best.  It's long-wearing, doesn't leave my nails feeling brittle and has a slightly muted quality that makes it feel less like a disco-ball and more like something Audrey Hepburn might have worn to a party.  It's also really cheap and available at Rite Aid.  Win! (Get it here if you don't feel like a trip to Rite Aid.)


My mirrored silver aviators are still available at Zenni 
What's the ultimate metallic?  Mirrored shades!  My husband says these classic aviators make me look like a sexy cop from a 1970 show.  Hmmmm...

I really love the fact that I found them at Zenni and managed to get a progressive lens prescription for under $35 shipped.  (The frames alone are only $6.95!)




We Like Cosplaying Sherlock Holmes!
A new twist on a classic print:


You can even get the hat.
I have always loved a houndstooth print, haven't you?  I'm in love with these basic trench coats because they look like they could have been fashionable 50 years ago, and will probably be fashionable 50 years from now.  I think they are irresistible at under $45 each.  Plus, they're made of a wool blend.






I also love the use of houndstooth print in this darling dress by Calvin Klein:

Find it at Macys




We Love Faux Fur!
(More colors than the Teletubbies...)

Rocky can wear real fur.  Faux for me.



Dig out your early 2000s colored faux fur jackets, or invest in a new one. They're here in every price range.  (I'm kind of obsessed with the inexpensive emerald green one below...)






Serious splurge
Ridiculously Affordable
Somewhere in between
We Want Shearling!
(No longer just normcore...)

Yes, those soft, cozy shearling coats -- like the one my dad wore to go out back and chop firewood -- have shown up on the runways.  This is a great time to find a version of this lumberjack classic, or just rock the one you normally only wear when you go camping.  You can spend a fortune for this or this, or check out some of my favorites below.  (They're all under $100.)






Make sure to watch the video at the top of this post for even more Fall/Winter 2017-2018 trends.  Stay tuned for more of my favorite fall picks.  Next up? My favorite styles from sustainable fashion brands.

Want to leave a comment?  Head over to the Chic Contraire Community Forum to start a conversation!

You've found my blog... now find me on Instagram and Twitter

Video by the superchic A Fashion.